Sunday, December 27, 2015

Creative Practice: Setting Yourself Up For Success In The New Year


The creative process is as nourishing to me as the air I breathe or the water I drink.  The more I create, the more complete I feel.  However, even for me creativity does not come without its challenges.
Recently I decided that I would make a new committment to creative practice--to being in my studio EVERY day.  I made no further plans, trusting that allowing for creative time would be enough to make something interesting happen. Indeed, it has been true that just setting the time aside to create has been incredibly empowering. However, I have found that in my intention to enact a daily creative practice, I need a little more than just  time.

I know a lot of people make committments (dare I say resolutions?) for the new year. Of these, I think that developing a creative practice could be one of the most positive, even life altering resolutions one can make.  To this end, I'd like to demystify a bit of what it takes to start and maintain a daily creative practice.

Four Simple Things You Need In Order to Set Up and Maintain a Creative Practice:

1. Inspiration: I'm starting with the big one, because I know some people think that this is a big magical thing that certain people have and others don't.  I'm not sure that's true, though I do know a few people who seem to have been born without that creative gene.  However, YOU are reading this post, and so YOU are not that person! You may not know exactly what your inspiration is just yet, but if you have the interest I really truly believe that is all you need to start with.  If you have the interest, and you set up the time and the space (see below), the inspiration will come.  And if it doesn't? Well, that's why God invented Pinterest.  I will be devoting another post soon to inspiration prompts, but you really don't even need me for that.  There is pinterest, there are a million artist and art teacher posts and blogs, and creative ideas are a dime a dozen on that thing called the internet.  For that reason, I'm bowing out of this one, and asking you to trust me on this.  Set up the next three pieces, and you will be well primed when inspiration comes calling.  And if it doesn 't come calling?  Go look for it.  Its out there. Google it. I promise.

2. Time: Probably the biggest barrier to maintaining a creative practice is finding the time to do so. Making time is really about shifting priorities.  If you think you have no time, there is really nothing I can say that will shift that perception.  But if you, like me, want to make time (or need to make the time), the best suggestion that I can make is to plan it in advance and set it up like an appointment. Figuring out the best time for your creative work is very personal, and it also takes a bit of introspection.  I know that my best time for innovative work (large painting, writing, developing new ideas) is the morning, in my studio, but my best time for maintenance work--lower key work that requires less creativity but more technique like sewing or small scale drawing, or developing my website is at night, in front of the tv. This is different for everyone, but I do think it is essential for whatever you do to figure out when you are at your best, and set that time aside for your work. If you are just starting out, or strapped for time, you might also identify where in your schedule you can fit in a small amount of time for creativity.   It could be at night after the kids go to bed, or very early in the morning.  I think  30  minutes a day is a reasonable amount of time to set aside, but if that sounds crazy to you, even sketching on a piece of scrap paper for a few minutes a day can be satisfying.  You may find that if you make this a regular practice, you can get a lot done in a few minutes--and you may eventually start adding more time without even really thinking about it.

2. Space: For some projects all you really need is a cleared kitchen or dining room table.  I do have a studio in my basement where I do all my really messy or larger projects, but when I just want to sketch or work on a small watercolor, I find I prefer to work on my dining room table so that I am near my family.  This way, if the kids are busy playing around me, I can actually be present and creative at the same time. I also have space set aside for supplies.  For me this is primarily in storage bins and shelving units in my studio, but I also keep some basic supplies in a cabinet in my kitchen. I pull these out whenever I find that I have a few minutes or an idea that I want to work on.  These are usually "dry" supplies--pens, markers, oil pastels and paper, but lately I've also been keeping a watercolor tray and some paintbrushes available so that when I want to create something its not such an intense process to get my space ready.

3. Supplies: This is a big one.  Depending on what you want to do, supplies can be as simple as pencils or markers and paper.  If you are serious about making this work, I suggest investing in good quality sketch or mixed media paper or an art journal and some good drawing pens. I personally almost never use pencils, especially for quick sketches and doodling--I prefer not to get caught up in trying to make something perfect and doing a lot of erasing. I draw with pens or markers,and allow for happy accidents.If I don't like the way something looks, I keep drawing and adding to it until I like it better.  Or, in some cases I throw it out (gasp!).  If that is not your style, you can substitute some good drawing pencils and a kneaded eraser for the markers. Below is a more extensive list of the types of things I always have on hand. Obviously this is based on the type of work that I do regularly, so see it more as a suggestion, and take from it what you will.


My Basic Studio Supply List:
  • Computer paper or scrap paper---I don't waste my good paper on sketches or doodles, so I always have lots of cheap paper around. I also tend to turn my grocery lists, to do lists, old flyers and used envelopes into small drawings as well.  
  •  Mixed Media Art paper (sizes 9x12 and 11x14)---they come in pads, and I always have some around for whatever small drawing or watercolor projects I want to do.
  • Watercolor trays--for beginners I like Prang--they are inexpensive and the quality of color is actually very good.  I also use tubes of Grumbacher watercolor paint for my professional projects, but the Prang trays are good enough for quick projects.  
  • Oil pastels---these are great for quick sketches, and I also use them in a lot of my mixed media work.  I add them as detail to my acrylic paintings, and I use them in watercolor resist.
  • Acrylic paint-I use Liquitex. I suggest having some basic colors plus a lot of white to start (cadmium red, pthalo green, ultramarine blue, cerulean blue, cadmium orange, cadmium yellow, naples yellow, dioxanne purple, burnt sienna, white).  You can mix these to create lots of other colors and shades.
  • Pallette for mixing paint and cup for water
  • Paint brushes---I use synthetic acrylic or watercolor brushes in three general sizes.  If you have a small, fine tip, a medium fine tip, a medium square, and a larger tip brush, you should be Ok to do most of what you want.  
  • Markers--I really like the the Pitt artist brushes, especially the Big Brush black india ink pen.  They don't last as long as I would like--or maybe I am just really hard on them.  but a new one makes an amazing line that I have not been able to find in any other product.  I replace them regularly, and at around $8 a brush, it can be an investment.  But I really like the result, so it is worth it.  I also have a box of art markers that I have collected over time.  In my box I have prismacolor art markers, lots of colored sharpies, and some brush markers in different colors.  They are useful to have around, but I don't use them a whole lot.   
  • Glue, painters tape, mod podge, varnish--you know, for putting things together and finishing them off. A lot of my work has collage or mixed media elements.  Mod Podge is amazing for those projects. I use cheap foam brushes or cheap painters brushes from the hardware store to apply the mod podge.  I always seal my work with a quality artists varnish that works for both acrylic and oils.  
  • Sewing supplies---this may just be for me, but since I've gotten into making art dolls I find these sewing supplies invaluable--I use them for my soft sculptures, but also sometimes with my mixed media paintings:  good scissors, different colors of multi-purpose thread, lots of different fabrics, needles, polyfill stuffing.  
I really do believe that everyone could do with more creativity in their lives.  Adding a creative practice to your day or week is a great way to increase positivity  and its cheaper than therapy!  Do you have a creative practice?  What helps you make it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment